9th Annual Buck Creek Clean Up
Saturday, August 20, 2022
Lemery Park, Wyoming, MI
A clean and healthy environment is critical to the overall health of our waterways and communities. Removing litter from our environment becomes increasingly difﬁcult and expensive the farther it gets from its source. Taking action to remove trash within your community will ensure a swimmable, drinkable, and ﬁshable future for the waters we all share. This clean up is a family-friendly, active event where volunteers will be walking and exercising as they make a positive impact upon the Buck Creek Watershed. Your participation is appreciated!
Schrems Trout Unlimited, in conjunction with local municipalities, was awarded a grant to assess the water quality in the Buck Creek watershed in 2014. Currently Buck Creek is a coldwater resource that continues to be highly threatened because of its urban nature. It is rare to find cold water in an urban setting, which is why Friends of Buck Creek and Schrems TU, as well as others like the Michigan Department of Natural Resources and Lower Grand River Organization of Watersheds, have highlighted Buck Creek as a threatened stream in need of protection. The grant that was received from The Department of Environmental Quality doesn’t allow for funds to be used for a clean up, which is why Schrems Trout Unlimited and Friends of Buck Creek, in conjunction with the cities of Kentwood, Grandville, Wyoming, as well as our generous sponsors are hosting this clean up.
– Volunteers arrive at Lemery Park for check-in. Once you are checked in you will choose a team and/or site location to work with for the morning. You will receive a map of your section along the creek, along with gloves and garbage collection bags. Each “team” will have one guide/leader for the day who will help answer any questions and provide guidance to volunteers. Coffee and baked goods will be provided by Biggby, Steenstra’s, and Marge’s Donut Den.
-Final instructions, team photo, and volunteers dismissed to their work sites to begin clean up
11:00am – 12:00pm
– Following 2 hours of clean up, volunteers are invited to meet at Wedgewood Park in Grandville where lunch will be provided by Grandville Mayor Steve Maas. (No taxpayer money used).
WHAT TO WEAR/BRING THAT DAY
1. Comfortable shoes or boots (ones that you don’t mind getting wet/dirty!)
2. Layered clothing: long shirt and pants recommended
3. Bug Spray
4. Reusable Water Bottle, we are trying to promote zero impact on the creek.
5. Waders (if you have them)
6. Grabber stick (if you have one)
A clean and healthy environment is critical to the overall health of our communities. This clean up is just one part of a multi-step process in assessing, improving and conserving Buck Creek. Thank you to the fine sponsors that are making the event possible: Accurate Engines, Grandville Mayor Steve Maas, Biggby Coffee, Marge’s Donut Den and Steenstra’s Bakery.